Sunday, June 29, 2014

Facing the Giants: Part 1


For too long the world has held the microphone on sex; and the one who holds the microphone holds the power.  We have been inundated with images, audio and movies depicting the perfect recipe for broken and abusive relationships.  Consequently, we have become like what we have seen: broken, abusive, and abused.  (Psalm 115; 2 Corinthians 3:18).  I see a generation held captive by a sexual nightmare, in a world without hope.  A generation of one-night stands longing for true intimacy, left wanting and wondering: “Is this it?  Is this all there is?”

On the flip-side, I see a self-righteous people wagging an angry finger at a hurting generation, touting words like “purity” and “compromise” as daggers that separate, rather than words that heal.  I see a people so bound by rules and fear that sexuality has become a thing of shame, rather than beauty. 

My friends, these things should not be.  It is due time to snatch the microphone back, to reclaim our power and dignity in sexual matters, and to speak up for those who have no voice.  (Proverbs 31:8). 

Over the next several weeks, please join me in this series on sexuality and relationships, which I am calling “Facing the Giants.”  It’s time to cast a new vision for walking in strength, beauty and power.  It is time to speak the truth, without a hint of shame, about the beauty of sex.  It is time to bring to light the hidden things of darkness that have left people lonely and afraid of this glorious part of God’s creation.  It’s time to restore the vision for the purpose of sex: to know fully, and to be fully known (spirit, and soul, and body). 

My prayer is that we are empowered to:
…Be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom (we) shine as lights in the world.  ~Philippians 2:12-15.
We are going to tackle touchy issues of sexuality and its abuse.  I want to speak candidly and openly on matters that too often go unaddressed, in the light of good humor and Christ’s love.  My hope over the next few weeks is that this is a place of refuge and contemplation for you.  I hope that some idea in one of these posts will enlighten your thoughts on sexuality and may help you change the conversation around you in a way that edifies and heals. 

My friends, if you haven’t noticed, people talk about sex all the time.  What is said about sex matters.  It impacts how we see ourselves and others; it defines how we treat ourselves and others.  I pray that we raise a standard of strength, fearlessness and beauty in the area of sexuality in our generation, whatever our relationship status may be.  That true Love, in its most intimate form, can capture our hearts again.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you HOPE and a future.  ~Jeremiah 29:11. 

God, restore the vision and Hope of this generation.  Remove the shame and restore the dignity of this generation.  Recapture the beauty and reverential awe toward sex and intimacy in this generation.  Realign our hearts with Your perfect will, so that we can walk in Freedom and no longer walk in fear.  Amen.

Before I close this post for today, I am compelled to share with you what is on the Father’s heart.  He spoke to me this afternoon and wanted me to share this with you, reader.  He said:

“Tell them:  I protect them, even from abuse.”~ Our Father (YHWH); June 29, 2014.

For those of you who have been abused in your life – sexually, physically, or emotionally – you have a Father who LOVES you and is FURIOUS with the adversary on your behalf!  He protects you, even from abuse.  There are some of you out there who are wondering “Why me?”  “Why did this happen to me?”  Your Heavenly Father wants you to know that He did not bring you to it, but He has brought you through it.  If you are in an abusive situation even now, He says “Get out of that abusive relationship RIGHT NOW!”  He has empowered you to walk away.  Fear (reverence, respect) God, not man.  (Matthew 10:28; Jeremiah 17:5-10).   Don’t wait one more second!

You have a Father who avenges you and who moves mightily on your behalf.  Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6). 

God bless you!  I’m excited for the next few weeks and I pray for our wisdom, strength and peace throughout.      

No comments: