Sunday, February 9, 2014

Active Prayers

Have you ever told someone, "I'll be praying for you!" and then promptly forgotten as soon as you walked away, hung up the phone or got distracted by your newest text message?  I have.  One time the Lord arrested my attention about that and it has forever changed the way I view prayer.

But before I get to that, let me explain.  Here is one of the most common prayers people know today: "Thank you, Father, for this food; bless it to the nourishment and strength of our bodies, and bless the hands who've prepared it, in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen."  (Or some derivative thereof).  More often than not, you've probably heard it like this: '"Thank-you-Father-for-this-food-bless-it-to-the-nourishment-and-strength-of-our-bodies-and-bless-the-hands-who've-prepared-it-in-the-name-of-Jesus-Christ-Amen!"  Like some sort of speed race.  Translation:  "Let's get this formality over with, so we can get to the good stuff.  I'm hungry."  Saying "grace" over every meal can become a tradition where we no longer even think about the words we say.  We can get to a point where we no longer mix faith with the words we speak.  And that's a dangerous place to be.  Our words become diluted and powerless, because they lack meaning.  The scripture implores us to avoid vain repetitions.   7"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.8"So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.…" (Matthew 6:7-8).  But for most people, that's the only way they know. 

So, why pray anyway? 

Maybe you're like me and you've moved past the initial infatuation stage with God (if you'll pardon the expression).  I mean, you've known Him for awhile and you've gotten used to Him.  Maybe you know the lingo, the religious-speak that lets you slide beneath the radar in church circles, but maybe your fresh faith has lost its luster. Maybe you see Him sitting across the breakfast table in the morning, but you just pour your coffee and start reading the newspaper without a word to Him before you go about your day.  Not that you don't like Him, but He just sort of blends in now.  Maybe the excitement's worn off for you.

I admit that happened to me once (not the coffee part, but my sense of over-familiarity with God that lulled me into complacency).  One time I was praying (as was my custom) and I just kept thinking of the phrase, "I'll be praying for you."  I was convicted on the spot for having said that to someone without following through.  The next thing I heard from the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit was this:  Whenever you tell someone that you will pray for them, imagine yourself saying,

"God Himself is intervening on your behalf through my intercessory prayer for you." 

Think about that. 

Imagine God Almighty literally moving around circumstances in people's lives for good. 

Imagine the cancerous tumor on that pancreas being removed right now. 

Imagine that man about to end his own life tapped on the shoulder by Love Himself. 

Imagine the broke widow who just gave away her last penny hear Him whisper, "I give you the keys to the kingdom." 

Imagine your highly talented friend who is uncertain about his or her future awakening to the calling that will accelerate them beyond their wildest dreams.

I'm talking about the God who sets the captives free (Isaiah 42:7), who makes the lame to walk and the blind to see (not just giving sight to people who can't physically see, but to people without a vision for their lives) (Matthew 11:5).  The God who rescued you and me. (John 3:16)  The God who gives voice to the voiceless (Prov. 31:8), hope to the hopeless (1 Timothy 1:1), peace to the restless (2 Thessalonians 3:16), Who comforts all who mourn (2 Corinthians 1:4), brings joy to the joyless (Nehemiah 8:10), strength to the weak (Isaiah 40:29), healing to the sick (James 5:15), light to dispel darkness (Matthew 4:16).  The God who heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds (Psalm 147:3), wipes away all tears (Revelation 7:17), banishes all your fears (1 John 4:18), and Who swallows death in victory (1 Corinthians 15:54).  I'm talking about my God.  The One who is faithful and true (Revelation 19:11).  He is Just (2 Thessalonians 1:6) and He is Good - all the time (James 1:17).  He never leaves you nor forsakes you (Hebrews 13:5).  His Love is unfading and never fails (1 Corinthians 13:4-8).  The One who never quits on you (Romans 8:38-39).  He is always merciful and forgiving (Psalm 118:29), gracious and giving (Psalm 145:8).  He is the Father of Truth (John 14:6).  He is Life (John 14:6).  He is the God Who never sleeps (Psalm 121:4) and Who always gives His beloved sleep (Psalm 127:2).  The Living God (Hebrews 3:12).  Who always wins (2 Corinthians 2:14). 

All of the sudden, prayer becomes active and real when you let loose the Living God into people's lives!  Prayer: it's alive!  

You want to see results when you pray?  Energize your faith and you will activate your prayers.  Start acknowledging the One to whom you're praying.  Start thinking about how much He loves you.  I pray every time you look in the mirror you realize how much God loves you.  I pray at breakfast, lunch and dinner, morning, noon and night, we give thanks - not out of obligation or tradition - but because we know how much He loves us and how good He really is.  

IF WE KNOW WE ARE LOVED BY GOD AND WE KNOW WHO HE IS, THEN WE KNOW OUR PRAYERS WILL WORK EVERY TIME. 

Jesus said, "Ask anything in my name, and I will do it." ~ John 14:14

I dare you.

No comments: